9. Recovering SharePoint Online data
This guide will show you how to recover SharePoint Online data with Online Backup
You must have administrator credentials for:
- Online Backup
- Your Microsoft 365 organization
What items can be recovered?
The following items can be recovered from a site backup:
- Entire site
- List items
- Document libraries
- List item attachments
- Site pages and wiki pages
You can use search to locate the items.
Items can be recovered to the original or a non-original site. The path to a recovered item is the same as the original one. If the path does not exist, it is created.
You can choose whether to recover the sharing permissions or let the items inherit the permissions from the parent object after the recovery.
The following items cannot be recovered:
- Subsites based on the Visio Process Repository template.
- Lists of the following types: Survey list, Task list, Picture library, Links, Calendar, Discussion Board, External, and Import Spreadsheet.
- Lists for which multiple content types are enabled.
- Site items where the path name exceeds 200 characters
1. Sign in to the Online Backup console as a company administrator through the Partner Portal using the SSO or log in to the following link https://backup.cld.services/login.
2. Click on Microsoft Office 365.
3. Do one of the following:
To recover data from a group site
- expand the Groups node, select All groups, select the group whose site originally contained the items that you want to recover, and then click Recovery.
To recover data from a classic site
- expand the Site Collections node, select All site collections, select the site that originally contained the items that you want to recover, and then click Recovery.
If the site was deleted
- select it in the Microsoft Office 365 backups section of the Backups tab, and then click Show backups.
You can search groups and sites by name. Wildcards are not supported.
4. Select a recovery point, then click Recover SharePoint Files.
5. Browse to the required folder or use search to obtain the list of the required data items.
While browsing, you can always refer to the path on top of the screen to locate yourself and go back.
While using the search bar, you can use one or more wildcard characters (* and ?). For more details about using wildcards, refer to "File filters". The search is not available if the backup is encrypted.
Select the items that you want to recover. If the backup is not encrypted, you used search, and selected a single item in the search results, you can click Show versions to select the item version to recover. You can select any backed-up version, earlier or later than the selected recovery point.
If you want to download the selected items, click Download, select the location to save the data to, and click Save. Otherwise, skip this step.
6. In Recover to site, view, change, or specify the target site. By default, the original is selected. If this site does not exist or a non-original organization is selected, you must specify the target site.
Select whether to recover the sharing permissions for the recovered items.
7. Click Start Recovery
Select one of the overwriting options before you click on Proceed:
- Overwrite an existing file if it is older
- Overwrite existing files
- Do not overwrite existing files
If you have any question, please browse our other FAQs, or contact us directly.
All Online Backup accounts with Microsoft 365