How to manage a catalog to create templates and import ISO files with Performance Cloud VMware
- How to create a new catalog
- Catalog sharing
- Upload an ISO file to the catalog
- Attach an ISO file to a virtual machine.
- Upload a vApp Template to the catalog
- Create a new template from an existing virtual machine
This guide will show you how to create a catalog and use it to create/add templates and import ISOs.
Note that items added to your catalog (templates, ISOs) count against the total storage quota of your virtual datacenter. Also, note that the highest hardware version currently supported for importing OVA/OVF templates is version 14.
If you have any issues importing your OVA/OVF template, please first review this article before contacting our cloud support team.
Instead of using predefined templates when creating virtual machines, you can use your own ISO files (and your own licenses if applicable)
How to create a new catalog
1. Log in to the Performance Cloud VMware portal using your credentials
2. Click on Libraries
3. Click on Catalogs then on click NEW
4. Give a name and description to the catalog and click OK.
If you want to store catalog items on a specific VDC storage policy, choose the pre-provision on a specific storage policy option.
- vApp templates in this catalog will be fast provisioned on the selected VDC storage policy.
- Instantiating a vApp from a fast provisioned vApp template is faster.
- A selected VDC storage policy will cause the vApp template size to count against your catalog storage quota.
Sharing the catalog is needed to allow other user roles, like vApp Author, to create virtual machines using templates or ISO files in the catalog.
1. Once the catalog is created, click on the Share option.
2. Choose betwen sharing to all users or specific users and groups, select the desired access level and click on SAVE.
Upload an ISO file to the catalog
1. Go to Media & Other and click ADD
2. On the next window:
- Select the catalog you created
- Browse to the ISO file you would like to upload
- Rename the ISO file if needed
and click on OK.
3. Wait until the upload is complete
The new media will appear in the list once the upload is completed.
Attach an ISO file to a virtual machine.
Here are steps to attach an ISO file to an existing virtual machine.
Upload a vApp Template to the catalog
1. Under Librairies, click on vApp Templates and click on NEW
2. You can enter a URL to upload an OVF or browse for a local file. In this example, a local file was used. Click on Browse and select the template file.
3. Click NEXT
4. Change the name and description of the template if needed and select the catalog you created for the template destination. Then, click NEXT
5. Click FINISH
6. Wait until the import has completed
7. You can now create a new virtual machine using the new template.
Create a new template from an existing virtual machine
1. If there is a virtual machine you would like to use as a template, you will first need to make sure it is part of a vApp. You can move a VM into an existing vApp or create a new vApp and move the virtual machine into this new vApp.
2. Go to Data Centers
3. Click on your virtual datacenter
4. Go to Compute > vApps
5. Select the vApp containing the virtual machine from which you want to create a template. Click Actions > Create Template
6. Select your catalog and give a name to the template
7. Wait until the template is successfully created in the catalog
8. Go to Menu > Libraries > vApp Templates and confirm that your template is now there
9. You can now create a new VM using this template