How to set up Veeam Backup & Replication to allow additional restore options on M365 backup powered by Veeam
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Here is the procedure to set up your Veeam Backup & Replication server for M365 backup powered by Veeam.
This setup is useful to enable additional restore possibilities as some restore limitations apply to the self-service restore portal.
- You must install Veeam Backup & Replication on a Microsoft Windows server. The Community Edition of Veeam Backup & Replication (Free Edition) also works. However, per Veeam End User License Agreement (EULA), it should only be used for internal purposes: https://www.veeam.com/eula.html
Please review system requirements, required permissions and used ports before you install Veeam Backup & Replication: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/planning.html?ver=110
- Have required information to configure the Service Provider in Veeam Backup & Replication that was sent by email from Sherweb when the backup service was enabled.
- To allow export options, you will also need a 64-bit version of Microsoft Outlook (2010-2019) installed on the backup server.
If you already have a working Veeam Backup & Replication server, you can use it without the need to build a new backup server.
Configure the service provider in Veeam Backup & Replication
- Connect to your backup server.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication console and connect to your backup server.
- Go to the Backup Infrastructure section, then click on Service Providers and click on Add Provider
- Enter the Service Provider DNS name provided by Sherweb and a description. Then, click on Next.
- Add credentials provided by Sherweb. Enter a description to help you managing your accounts (if many are in used in this backup server).
Then, click on Apply.
- The Service Provider settings should be added successfully.
Install Veeam Explorers
- Download the Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 ISO file on the backup server.
You can use the following link: https://download2.veeam.com/VBO/v6/VeeamBackupMicrosoft365_184.108.40.2065_P20220524.iso
If the link is broken, you can download the trial here: https://www.veeam.com/backup-microsoft-office-365.html
- Follow the provider documentation to deploy Veeam Explorers on your backup server: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo365/guide/vbo_installing_explorers_for_tenants.html?ver=60
Here is the provider documentation for more details on connecting to service providers: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/cloud/cloud_connect_sp.html?ver=110