As announced earlier this summer, we are phasing out the Office Protect Monitoring User (secmon). We will now connect to your tenant using the Office Protect Monitoring application you can find in your Azure Active Directory. This authentication method is much more reliable and secure, as it is much less likely that an application is deleted by accident.
What we did so far:
- Dependencies to Secmon were removed
- We deployed the Office Protect Application to all the organizations using Office Protect with the required permissions (see our article on the subject)
- "Enable Security Default" setting was deployed to replace "Enable Multi-Factor Authentication"
- We will be retiring the Enable Multi-Factor Authentication setting
- New organizations onboarded in Office Protect will no longer have a Monitoring User created
- "Monitoring User is Active" Health Status will be removed for every organization
What do I need to do?
If you purchased Microsoft 365 with Sherweb, we will automatically remove our Monitoring User without any intervention required on your part. If you did not purchase Microsoft 365 with Sherweb, you will be notified when it is safe to delete Secmon.