8. Backing Up SharePoint Online
This guide will show you how back up SharePoint Online with Online Backup
You must have administrator credentials for:
- Online Backup
- Your Microsoft 365 organization
What items can be backed up?
You can back up SharePoint classic site collections, group (team) sites, and communication sites. Also, it is possible to choose individual subsites, lists, and libraries for backup.
The following items are skipped during a backup:
- The Look and Feel site settings (except for Title, description, and logo).
- Site page comments and page comments settings (comments On/Off).
- The Site features site settings.
- Web part pages and web parts embedded in the wiki pages (due to SharePoint Online API limitations).
- OneNote files (due to SharePoint Online API limitations).
- External data and Managed Metadata types of columns.
- The default site collection "domain-my.sharepoint.com". This is a collection where all of the organization users’ OneDrive files reside.
- Titles and descriptions of sites/subsites/lists/columns are truncated during a backup if the title/description size is greater than 10000 bytes.
1. Sign in to the backup console as a company administrator through the Partner Portal using the SSO or log in to the following link https://backup.cld.services/login.
2. Click on Microsoft Office 365.
3. Do one of the following:
To back up all classic SharePoint sites in the organization (including sites that will be created in the future), expand the Site collections node, select All site collections, and then click Group backup.
To back up individual classic sites, expand the Site collections node, select All site collections, select the sites that you want to back up, and then click Backup.
To back up all group sites (including sites that will be created in the future), expand the Groups node, select All groups, and then click Group backup.
To back up individual group sites, expand the Groups node, select All groups, select the groups whose sites you want to back up, and then click Backup.
4. Click on Add Backup Plan
5. On the Backup plan panel:
Ensure that the SharePoint sites item is selected in What to back up.
In Items to back up, do one of the following:
Keep the default setting [All] (all items of the selected sites).
Specify the subsites, lists, and libraries to back up by adding their names or paths.
To back up a subsite or a top-level site list/library, specify its display name in the following format: /display name/**
To back up a subsite list/library, specify its display name in the following format: /subsite display name/list display name/**
The display names of subsites, lists, and libraries are shown on the Site contents page of a SharePoint site or subsite.
Specify the subsites to back up by browsing.
The Browse link is available only when creating a backup plan for a single site.
[OPTIONAL] In Items to back up, click Show exclusions to specify the subsites, lists, and libraries to skip during the backup.
Item exclusions override the item selection; i.e. if you specify the same subsite in both fields, this subsite will be skipped during a backup.
Click on Apply
6. After applying a backup plan, the newly added items will be included in the backup only after the synchronization. The cloud agent synchronizes with Microsoft 365 every 24 hours.
You can click on Run Now if you want to run the Backup right away.
This option will not be available from the Group Backup, in which case you will need to select the sites or groups you want to run now and click on the Backup button instead of Group Backup in order to click the Run Now button for the Schedule you just created.
If you have any question, please browse our other FAQs, or contact us directly.
All Online Backup accounts with Microsoft 365