You need to set, modify or delete a legal hold on specific users or departments.
These are the requirements to be able to set a legal hold.
- One of the following Dropsuite accesses:
- Full Admin
- IT Admin
- Compliance and Review Officer
- Group Supervisor (This will only work for users within the groups they are an admin of)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Adding a Legal Hold
- Important Mentions
Adding a Legal Hold
This section will explain how to set a legal hold on users, or a group of users in a department as well as how to modify or remove the legal hold. While a legal hold is active there will be no way to have emails deleted from the specified users or users within departments.
Adding a legal hold to users or departments
- Hover over the compliance menu and select "Legal Hold".
- On the Accounts Level tab, select "+Create New".
- In the first section, select a name for this specific legal hold.
- The name must be unique and not matching an existing name.
- The maximum amount of characters is 35 and can only be letters or numbers. The only symbols allowed are currency symbols, and underscores.
- In the next section you will need to select Email Account to enter specific users, Department to specify departments, or All to apply the hold to all users.
- In this case we chose Email Account. If you select Email Account or Department you will need to specify the users or departments in the below box.
- Next be sure to read the disclaimer which states that while the hold is on the accounts, retention policies will not apply to have emails deleted. Click the checkbox to agree to the terms, and then select "Enable Hold".
Modifying a legal hold
- To modify the legal hold, find it on the legal hold page and select the 3 dots in the top right corner, then select "Edit".
- In the next window, modify the information for the legal hold and read the disclaimer, select the checkbox and finally select "Update".
Removing a legal hold
- On the legal hold page, find the legal hold in question, select the 3 dots in the top right corner and select "Delete".
- In the next window, read the warning, and then select "I Agree".
- The hold will then be removed and the retention policy will once again be applied to the users in question.
Important things to note when creating legal holds.
- Retention policies will no longer apply while the hold is active meaning no emails can be deleted whatsoever.
- If setting a legal hold on a department, this will apply to all users within that department.