How to set up Veeam Backup & Replication to allow additional restore options on M365 backup powered by Veeam
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Here is the procedure to set up your Veeam Backup & Replication server for M365 backup powered by Veeam.
This setup is useful to enable additional restore possibilities as some restore limitations apply to the self-service restore portal.
- You must install Veeam Backup & Replication on a Microsoft Windows server. The Community Edition of Veeam Backup & Replication (Free Edition) also works. However, per Veeam End User License Agreement (EULA), it should only be used for internal purposes: https://www.veeam.com/eula.html
Please review system requirements, required permissions and used ports before you install Veeam Backup & Replication: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/planning.html?ver=110
- Have required information to configure the Service Provider in Veeam Backup & Replication that was sent by email from Sherweb when the backup service was enabled.
- To allow export options, you will also need a 64-bit version of Microsoft Outlook (2010-2019) installed on the backup server.
If you already have a working Veeam Backup & Replication server, you can use it without the need to build a new backup server.
Configure the service provider in Veeam Backup & Replication
- Connect to your backup server.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication console and connect to your backup server.
- Go to the Backup Infrastructure section, then click on Service Providers and click on Add Provider
- Enter the Service Provider DNS name provided by Sherweb and a description. Then, click on Next.
- Add credentials provided by Sherweb. Enter a description to help you managing your accounts (if many are in used in this backup server).
Then, click on Apply.
- The Service Provider settings should be added successfully.
Update Veeam Explorers
Once the setup of your Veeam Backup & Replication server is completed, Veeam Explorers must be updated.
Please follow this article for guidance on updating Veeam Explorers.
Here is the provider documentation for more details on connecting to service providers: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/cloud/cloud_connect_sp.html?ver=110